January 2, 2013

Piccolo Forno Pizza

          So a little while back we wanted to go out to eat but we wanted somewhere cheaper so we decided to go back to Piccolo Forno for their pizza that we have heard so much about.  I already reviewed Piccolo Forno but the last time we were there they were out of pizza dough so we got their excellent pasta.
          My wife and I got to the restaurant at about six on a Saturday night and the wait was about an hour.  We were called about 45 minutes later and seated.  The waitress came over and told us the specials of he day and took our drink order.  She came back and we placed our order, we started with the meatballs and each got a pizza so we would have leftovers for the next day.  I don't normally eat leftovers but pizza and pretty much anything Italian I will make an exception for.  I got the Prosciutto e Rucola a pizza, it came with a tomato sauce, mozzarella, prosciutto and arugula, my wife decided to get the special pizza of the day the white pizza with prosciutto and figs.
          Our starter, the meatballs, came out and looked really good, the dish consisted of three meatballs with pesto and grape tomatoes.  I cut one of the meatballs open and it just fell apart, they were really dry, not what I was expecting.  The flavor was really good in the dish and it all went well together but I just couldn't get over how dry the meatballs were.  The pesto and tomatoes lent some moisture to the dish but not enough.  I just wasn't expecting this after our last visit.
          The pizza came out a few minutes later and looked really good.  The crust on the pizza was very thin but not crispy like I would expect it, mine was kind of droopy in the middle.  My pizza was good though, the sauce was a bit on the sweet side but it balanced out nicely with the salty prosciutto and peppery arugula.  I wasn't blown away by this pizza, I have made this exact pizza at home before and it tasted almost the same, except my sauce isn't as sweet.  My wives pizza, she finally made the mistake it wasn't me, she usually points to an item on the menu and gets lucky.  This time her dish wasn't bad but it was a weird combination.  It was a white pizza with four different types of cheeses topped with prosciutto and figs. The figs were so sweet it really ruined the pizza.  She ended up taking the figs off the pizza and she said it was really good.  I tried a piece and I must say it was weird, overly sweet almost like a dessert pizza.  Next time I think she would just go for the regular white pizza.
          Overall the meal was good, nothing great but a solid meal.  I found that so odd, the last time we went we got the pasta and it was great but no one talks about the pasta.  Everyone makes a big deal about the pizza, but if you make fresh pizza at home I really don't think there is a huge difference between the two.  I will be back to Piccolo Forno but I just think I will be getting the pasta.

Overall 6.5 of 10
Food 6 of 10
Service 7 of 10 
Price 7 of 10

3801 Butler St.
Pittsburgh PA 15201


Piccolo Forno on Urbanspoon







1 comment:

  1. I have been visiting your recipe blog from past 3 months. The way of recipe tips looks to be easy for all readers. I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe to obtain useful posts like this periodically. Particularly post on "Piccolo Forno Pizza" is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites Vegetarian restaurant | Sweet Shop

    ReplyDelete