August 1, 2011

Meat and Potatoes

          I have been wanting to go to this new restaurant since I found out when it was going to be opening.  My wife and cousin, who also loves good food, just couldn't get their booked social calendars to match up until last weekend.  So the one person who really wanted to go, me, had to wait for two months.
          The restaurant is in a prime location right in the heart of the cultural district, across the street from Heinz Hall and a walk across the bridge from PNC Park.  I was very surprised that at 6PM on a Saturday it was not packed.  Our waitress we had was very nice but not as knowledgeable about the food as you would like, but she made sure to get answers to all of our questions from the kitchen staff.  It was just very surprising that she didn't even know what was in the succotash, you would think the waitress would know the basics.
          We ordered our appetizer and my wife and I got the San Marzano flat bread ($10) and my cousin got the Tuna Crudo ($12).  The Crudo was pretty good but my wife and cousin were not pleased with the surprise of chili peppers on top that were not listed on the menu. (Maybe payback for all the questions, lol)  Our flat bread was pretty good as well, it tasted like a pizza with no sauce. 
          We placed our entree orders and I got their Pub burger ($14), my wife got the roasted chicken ($17) and my cousin got the Kobe Flat Iron steak ($24).  My burger was excellent, it was cooked to a perfect medium topped with a horseradish cheddar cheese, pork belly pastrami and a fried egg it also came with a side of fresh cut fries.  This burger didn't need catsup or any other topping other than the special sauce and egg, they were so creamy together.  To top it off it came on a housemade bun so soft but full enough that it didn't fall apart.  My wives chicken was okay, nothing out of this world, it was two chicken thighs and legs roasted with herbs.  I must say though that it was some of the moistest chicken I have ever had.  The highlight of her meal to me was the garlic mashed potatoes, they were so flavors and had a great not-too-chunky not-too-smooth texture, the kind I can never make at home.  The succotash was good too it was a mix of peas, carrots and corn mixed with a butter sauce.
          My cousins flat iron steak was cooked medium-rare and had good flavor, it came with fried plantains and a cilantro puree.  Those flavors didn't sound like they would work to me but they did.  The plantains were covered in cinnamon and rum reduction and fried, they were so good if you put them on a plat with some whipped cream they could have been a desert. 
          Overall for a nice night out under $60 it was really good.  The atmosphere was very nice and welcoming, the food was pretty good from a chef with a good reputation and the location was great.  I just don't get why there were open tables the whole time we were there, this place should be one of those place you need to reserve a table to get in.  I would go back for sure.

Overall 8 of 10
Food 8 of 10
Service 7 of 10
Price 7.5 of 10
649 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Meat & Potatoes on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment