August 22, 2011

Peppi's

          Okay, I have to start off by saying this is one of my favorite dive spots ever.  I have been going to Peppi's since I was in high school and the quality and price haven't changed much.
           My wife and I were down in the Strip the other day and we stopped in to get a bite, our usual Peppi's is the one in Point Breeze but this is the one I first went to back in high school.  When you walk into any of their locations it doesn't look like anywhere that you would want to get a bite to eat, I have had friends that I had to convince to eat there but after they got their food they always want to go back.  The location in the Strip has old church pews and old wobbly tables, and the one in Point Breeze in an old beat down diner car.  They are just not places you would look at not knowing what it was and say "hey let's get lunch there".
          We walked in and placed our order at the counter, I got the Big Wheeler (steak, hot sausage and provolone) and my wife got the Big Nate (chicken, steak and provolone), we both got drinks and we shared a small fry.  The total for our meal was $21.00.  The fries are fresh cut and a small is enough for two people and a large could probably satisfy four.  They also offer a sweet potato fry in the Strip which I have had before they are good but I would stick with the regular ones.
          Our fires came out and they were great, hot out of the fryer, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  After we finished our fries our sandwiches came out.  The sandwiches are about 10 inches long and are piled up with meat and toppings straight off the flat top.  The bread is what makes the subs the best around, they come fresh from Mike and Daves everyday.  You can tell the bread is fresh because of how soft the bread is and it has a nice crust too just enough that it doesn't let the juices run out everywhere.  The bread just absorbs all of the juices from the meat and makes it so much better.  Without the bread the sandwich would be good but nowhere near what it is. 
          They have 50+ sandwiches to choose from and 16 hall of fame sandwiches which are a little more money but they are all worth it.  They also have salads and wraps there too if you are looking for a lighter option.
          Overall like I said at the beginning this has been a favorite of mine for over 10 years.  If you are looking for a good, cheap meal and your not really watching your wasteline this is the place for you.  The decor isn't very pretty but the food will get you past that.


Overall 9 of 10
Food 9 of 10
Service 5 of 10(basically self-serve)
Price 10 of 10

1721 Penn Ave.

Pittsburgh, PA

Peppi's Sandwich Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment