August 15, 2011

Smiling Banana Leaf

          So the other day I didn't feel like cooking and I have been wanting to try this place for awhile now so I suggested we go there for dinner.  My wife and I went around 6:30 on a Saturday.  Every review I have read about this place says it is really small and there is always a wait.  When we got there we were seated right away and there was no line or tons of people getting take out.  It seemed weird right away after reading all the reviews on all the websites.  The atmosphere was very nice and well laid out, very inviting.
          We place our app order, fresh shrimp spring rolls $5 for 2 and then our entrees, I got the Red Chicken Curry $10.25 and my wife got the Sweat and Sour Chicken $10.00.  They ask how spicy you want it there and I like spice but I asked how spicy a 7 would be and the girl said spicy but not too bad if you like spicy things.  I said fine give me a 7 and my wife got a 2 because she doesn't like anything that has heat on it. 
          We got our spring rolls and they were really good, the freshness of everything was great, they were crisp and refreshing.  They came with a side of peanut dipping sauce that was also good.  The sauce didn't overtake the rolls like some sauces will, it was light and really complimented the rolls.
          Our entrees came out and they were huge, believe me you are not going to leave hungry.  My wife's meal was good it tasted like sesame chicken but the veggies and fruit were a lot fresher and crisp than you will get at any other place like this  for the price.  My curry, my first time trying curry, was very hot.  I feel there is a difference between spicy and hot.  Spicy is a lot of powerful flavors that make the dish come to life, and hot is lets just add so much chili powder they could be eating cardboard and wouldn't know the difference.  This dish was on the verge of un-edible.  I didn't want to be the guy that sends back his own mistake so I dealt with it.  I was eating it all together with the bamboo shoots and veggies in the curry paste and coconut milk and I just wanted to try the chicken by itself, it was flavorless, nothing at all no salt or pepper or anything at all.  My wife's chicken was the same if you didn't have sauce and veggies in the same bite it was nothing. 
          After all was said and done I feel like every review I ever read about this place was wrong.  The food was okay at best the prices were good but there are so many places at that price range that are better in the city.  Maybe it was just one bad dinner or Thai food isn't my thing but I don't think I would ever go back to this place.

Overall 5 of 10
Food 3 of 10
Service 6 of 10
Price 7 of 10

501 Bryant St.
 Pittsburgh, PA 15206

Smiling Banana Leaf on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. It's always so much fun to read what foodies in the burgh think of the restaurants here! Especially when you haven't seen the writer in at least 10 years! My boyfriend and I both work in restaurants, so we tend to be extremely hard to please. A couple really fun places we recommend: BrGr in East Liberty- pretty inexpensive gourmet burgers and spiked milkshakes. Root 174 in Regent Square- perfectly executed food, its a bit more expensive, but worth every bite. I'd save it for a really special dinner night. Piccolo Forno is awesome in Lawrenceville. Its very inexpensive brick oven pizza and italian dishes, BYOB, and great service.

    I look forward to reading so many more of your reviews!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - love the blog!

    Lee and I went here a couple of months ago and I had the opposite spicy experience - I ordered Pad See Ew level 5 and it wasn't spicy at all. It also was described as having a "black soy sauce," but it was really sweet tasting. Definitely not what I was expecting. However, my favorite part of this place was definitely the owner/hostess!

    ReplyDelete